Welcome to Farm Quilter

Enjoy your stay under the variable skies of Eastern Washington and watch the seasons change, from planting to harvest here on the farm...be sure to wrap up in a quilt during the winter, it's cold!!

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Which Needle to Use

I just read a wonderful blog post by Kate who blogs at Seams Like a Dream and she has great information on what needle works with what fabric and why!!  Best of all, she put it into a chart that you can easily copy and save for future use right here

I'm really good at figuring out which needle to use with my longarm, because I use different weights of thread when I quilt and they demand different sizes of needles to work properly.  I'm not that attentive when I am piecing...because I usually use cotton so my needle stays the same!  Remember the Tummy Time quilts I made for babies?  After reading Kate's blog, I understand why I was having issues when piecing the poly fabric to the cotton...it kept wanting to shift and stretch on me!!  Lesson learned!  I now have a copy of Kate's list of fabrics and the needles they pair with in a folder on my desktop so I can access it.  When I get home, I'll print out a copy and keep it in my sewing room!

2 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Thank you for sharing this!

Susie said...

Will definitely have a look at this. I don't have too many problems with the needles and my Janome but I generally only sew with cotton and then the wadding and the needles which are for Janome seem to do an excellent job. But it is always handy to have a guide if I do ever sew with anything different. Thank you so much for sharing and to Kate for taking the time to compile the guide. Hugs, Susie xx