The first thing I did was quilt my fabrics with a single layer of batting. I did free-hand feathers and just had fun.
After quilting, I made binding to go across the top of the quilter's plastic (probably bought at JoAnn's) and around the outside of the mat.
When putting the binding on the plastic, either use binder clips or if you use pins, keep the pin holes inside the binding.
After creating the pockets, I put the binding around the mat - using clips again anywhere there was plastic. I also sewed a length of ribbon on the top center of the back of the mat so I could roll up and secure the items in the pockets when I wanted to take my mat and tools to retreat or a sewing day.
I rescued a German Shepherd and this was the first day at home, learning that the Chihuahua is the alpha of the four-legged family members!! In less than 24 hours, Hunter no longer needed to be on a leash when Tara was outside with her. Hunter is currently an outside dog as she is in heat. As soon as that is over, I'll be having her spayed so she can join the family in the house. I can figure out a diaper for my daughter's Chihuahua (amazing how well half a sock, rolled up and held in place with a onesie works), but Hunter is just too big for that to work!! Hunter has now been with us a week and has come out of her shell. She is happy being a beta and I'm working with her on learning commands to sit, stay, down. I've never heard her bark.