First off, I apologize for missing posting this morning...absolutely no progress on my handwork. My life has been taken over by umpiring adult slow-pitch softball 5 nights a week and getting a quilt made for my granddaughter who is due to make her appearance in July.
Her name is going to be Liberty Belle and mom and dad are all-in patriotic, so I designed this for the quilt top. Doing the Bargello flag with no pattern was quite interesting and challenging! I used fusible to attach the letters of her name and did a blanket stitch on my sewing machine to hold them down. The Ohio stars were made from leftover HSTs from this quilt.
The backing for the quilt contains the label I embroidered. I like incorporating the label into the backing because it certainly will not be coming off without destroying the quilt. More leftover HSTs (yep, I see the mistake and chose to leave it!) and the part of the red and white stripes cut out to put in the blue star fabric was used to make the label.
Then the binding. For the first time in 10 years I am sending my quilt to be quilted by another quilter and, bless her heart, she is going to put the binding on as well, so I made the faux piping binding that she can easily sew on with her sewing machine. As this quilt is a gift from my in-laws as well as hubby and me, my dear MIL is paying for the quilting and binding since I bought the fabric and made the quilt.
The binding is totally scrappy since I didn't have enough red or blue fabric to make the binding from must two pieces of fabric. Since this is for a baby, I think scrappy is totally appropriate and all the fabrics are in the quilt.
When I get pictures of the completed quilt from the quilter, I'll put the pictures on here so we can all see how it looks!! But I'll admit I wish my longarm was more portable so I could bring it to my dad's house with me!!!
Since this is finally off my plate, I'll get back into working on my curvy geese!