Welcome to Farm Quilter

Enjoy your stay under the variable skies of Eastern Washington and watch the seasons change, from planting to harvest here on the farm...be sure to wrap up in a quilt during the winter, it's cold!!

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Project QUILTING 11.5 Give It Away

I got my project finished - I made a Tummy Time quilt for one of my daughter's friends who recently had a baby.
Hunter is inspecting it and making sure I did everything right.  Well, the tummy time quilt was just fine, but because I don't want the extra weight, I don't use batting in these quilts.  Well, that doesn't fit the parameters of the challenge...I have to use batting, so...

Email to the rescue!!!  I received an email from Bernina's We All Sew with a pattern for tortilla warmers!!  This cute little warmer uses Wrap and Zap batting (the kind you can put in the microwave), mostly batik fabrics, and all in my daughters' favorite colors!!


I didn't exactly follow the directions for making this...I chose to sew all my layers together and pull them right side out so I didn't need to make binding for the top half.
Batting on the bottom, then the black fabric and teal on top.
Press the "inside" fabric over the batting and then press the outside fabric seam allowance on top of that.
I pinned them closed while they were hot and let them cool because I know "hot forgets, cold remembers" and sewed them about 1/8" from the edge all the way around.  I then picked a pretty stitch I had never used on my machine to quilt an X to hold the layers together.

I now know why the directions used binding all around all the edges...it is really hard to cut a good circle using my regular rotary cutter - my wonderful circle rotary cutter is at home in Washington - and my edges don't all match up real pretty.  So I picked the two sides that match the best for the top, open part of the tortilla warmer and used bias binding to hide the messiest parts!!
Hunter had to check them out as well.  I used another decorative stitch to stitch the binding down.

Since my middle daughter's husband cooks authentic Mexican food and they don't fry those tortillas crispy, they will use these often!

I am linking up with Kim at Persimmon Dreams with my finish!




6 comments:

PersimonDreams said...

I Love them both! Tortilla warmers - brilliant!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Dawn! Well, isn't this just SO clever. I never would have thought of making one but it's a great idea. And Hunter is just a fabulous inspector - he's doing a great job. I'm certain the Tummy Time quilt will be enjoyed so much as will the tortilla warmers. Great job and Happy Sunday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Carol Andrews said...

Another sweet tummy time blanket gift done! Sweet!
The tortilla warmers were a perfect brainstorming idea for Project Challenge 11.5 Give Away. You really ticked the boxes and I’m sure your daughter and SIL will think of you with much love each time they make Mexican or stuffed wraps. Love the fabric and colours! 😄 Carol

Susan said...

Very seldom do tortillas need to be fried, so this is perfect! Both projects will be well received, no matter the rules violation on project 1. =)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Cute and cozy Tummy Time quilt, but those Tortilla Warmers may just have to be the next thing I make for DS1!!!

Susie said...

They are amazing and I love the baby quilt. I have never heard of tortillas warmers but we don't eat Mexican food as DH can't eat anything spicey!!!! I love the colours you chose. Hunter is a lovely looking dog and I hope Tara is making her feel so at home.

Hugs, Susie & Treacle xx