Welcome to Farm Quilter

Enjoy your stay under the variable skies of Eastern Washington and watch the seasons change, from planting to harvest here on the farm...be sure to wrap up in a quilt during the winter, it's cold!!

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Hand Quilt-Along

I almost forgot to post!  Not that I have much to post about.  I got a whole 4 more geese sewn in 3 weeks.  Ugh.  I really don't like hand work but I do love how the geese look when I do them by hand.  I did this same sort of block once before but did the sewing on the folded over part by machine.  When I look back at that, I am not happy at all with how it looks, but I'm certainly not going to take the whole quilt apart (it is the center medallion of the quilt) just to change it.  I'm looking at it as a learning experience!  So I am up to 43 geese done, at 10 minutes per goose puts me at over 7 hours of hand sewing on this quilt and I know I'll be pushing 100 hours of hand work by the time I get it finished.  I hope I can finish it this year.  At least, because of this HQA, I am making a little progress.  I have also decided to put safety pins to mark the geese I sew each 3 weeks so I don't have to count them all every time!
You can see all the extra pins I had hoped to use, but I got lazy!!

If you have any hand project and would like to join our group, contact Kathy at
Kathy

Other than Kathy, the rest of us participating are:
Lori
Margaret
Kerry
Emma
Tracy
Deb
Connie
Deborah
Susan
Jessica
Sherry
Nannette
Edi
Sharon
Bella
Sassy --> That's me!

4 comments:

K Reeves said...

Sassy, at least there are four fewer geese to do! I think if I were in your shoes, I would have to stop and do one goose after each meal or I would never get started! They are quite beautiful when finished, so well worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

That's four more than you had before! It does take time to do handwork, but look at all you've accomplished in your 7 hours plus! This is going to be so beautiful, as I can tell from looking at previous ones.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

100 hours! Holy cow - Thats a ton of time - its coming along great!

Susie said...

They look great but I know what you mean taking on this project but it will look amazing when it is all done, even if it has taken 100 hours! Are you doing this in an evening whilst watching TV? I always find if I do that it does not seem so long a job, like my ironing!!! I always watch TV whilst ironing and then I don't see the massive basket full!!!! Can't wait to see it when it is all done and I love the colours. Hugs, Susie xx