Welcome to Farm Quilter

Enjoy your stay under the variable skies of Eastern Washington and watch the seasons change, from planting to harvest here on the farm...be sure to wrap up in a quilt during the winter, it's cold!!

Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day 2014

I attended the ceremony for Memorial Day at the cemetery of my little town of 900.  I found out that each of the large flags represents a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine who has passed on. 


The VFW Post 7395 laid a wreath on the memorial for the 17 men of my community who died in service to our country.


The flag of the Army, Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard were snapping in the breeze.




The Ladies Axillary of  VFW Post 7395 laid a wreath and cross on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

This is part of the group that gathered to share this ceremony today.
The ceremony ended in a gun salute and the playing of taps (posted with permission).  The young lady playing the bugle was amazing!  Blogspot will not load my video, but you can go to my facebook page and see/listen to the short video. https://www.facebook.com/susan.ryanwalter

Thank you to all the veterans and their families for the sacrifices you have made in the defense of our country.  Thank you to all who are currently service in our armed forces, your sacrifice and dedication are very much appreciated.
In honor of my father and uncle who served in WWII, my cousins who both served in Vietnam, my daughter and her husband currently in TANG, and my daughter in the Army who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan and just signed up for an additional 6 year hitch.  May God bless and keep you all!


2 comments:

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Wow, what a beautiful post. Whenever I see the honor and respect our Veterans deserve--I get a bit choked up. And Thank You to your family and all persons severing this Great Land of Ours!

Susie said...

Love the post. Do you know I think the US seem to have all their holidays at the right time of the year! Mother's Day in May, ours is in March when it is cold and miserable! Memorial Day in May, ours is in November when it is freezing!!!! We stand outside Church where the Memorial Stone is and it is usually blowing a gale or snowing!!!!! I think we need to move some of our events!!!! Although with the sort of weather we have in the UK even in May it can be cold, like today! Have a great day. Susie x